About Me

My Photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States

Monday, March 2, 2009

Baked Pasta Casserole

I've been on a mission to limit certain things from my diet (not eliminate) such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and sugar.  I've also been exercising and really listening to my body.
However, today I had a bagel and I'm alright with that because I can't remember the last time I had a toasted bagel with butter.  Anyways, it didn't stop there.  I haven't had pasta in a loooonnnng time and I felt for it today. So, I made my baked pasta casserole-and I made it the low carb, low sugar way. 
Here are the pics and the recipe. You can tweak it anyway you want but you must get this pasta sauce(Seeds of Change: Arabitta Di Roma)-it's AMAZING!  Click here for their website. Not only is it low carb & no sugar but it taste great, it's organic, gluten free and you can reuse the glass jar afterwards. I got it at my Food Coop but I'm sure you could find it at any Whole Foods or any organic grocery.   (Click the pics to see details)




Recipe:
Half box of regular or low carb farfalle pasta (or any pasta you like)
Boiling hot water and 1 teaspoon of olive oil (add pasta when water has come to a boil)

In a skillet/frying pan:
1/2 tablespoon real butter (no margarine-its not good for you)
1/4 cup chopped scallions or onions (diced)
2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 teaspoon basil 
Stir all together for about 3 minutes

Add 1/2 pd ground beef or ground turkey to the skillet and brown the meat (about 12 minutes)

2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan
3/4 of Seeds of Change pasta sauce

Drain pasta when it's al dente.  Then drain the grease out of the browned ground beef.  Add ground beef to pasta.  Add sauce and stir.  Add parmesan cheese and stir.  Add 3/4 of your mozzarella cheese and stir.  Place the mixture in a small casserole dish. Top with the rest of your mozzarella cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is brown.

YUMMMM!

1 comment:

Jonezy said...

O my. That looks gooood... and I'm so hungry right now, it's not fair. I've never made a Pasta Casserole before, I must try!