About Me

My Photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Natural hair transition-products I'm trying

So, I'm in the process of growing out my relaxer (last relaxer Oct 12, 2008) and learning to love my naturally curly hair and not being a slave to the relaxer, rollersets, hood dryer and the flat iron (even though my husband bought me a very very expensive flat iron for Christmas-sorry honey).
My hair recently 12/26-a work in progress8/2006-My Birthday Relaxed Great hair night
3/2008 Flexi-rod set-Great hair night
My relaxed hair-10/2006

I've always had curly hair and usually during the summer I would let my relaxer grow out and wear my hair curly. This time I'm going 100% curly-which means that I will be be cutting off my relaxed ends every few months and eventually all I'll have is my naturally curly roots-no more relaxer for me!
Curly hair 8/2005


I'm not ready to state what my regime is because I'm testing out products and techniques and getting myself acclimated to my hair again. I've been reading natural hair websites (curlynikki.com & naturallycurly.com) and getting a lot of advice. But I also remember things that I used to do in the past-so basically I just need to find the "ultimate curly hair routine" that works for ME!

Here are the products that have always worked well for me:
Water!!!
Conditioner
Ion oil free glosser
Motions CPR
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo (but I'm using shampoo less often)
Aveda pomade
Carol's Daughter Kizzi
Flexi-rods (large)
Blowdryer & diffuser

Here are the products that I'm currently trying out (the verdict is still out on these):
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Jojoba Oil & Coconut Oil (not sure if oils work for me-maybe just to seal my ends)
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner
Twist 'N' Curl method c/o Curlynikki.com
No-poo method (Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey)
Satin pillowcase and satin/silk head scarves

Things that I've learned so far:
~Water, conditioning, & moisturizing is a MUST
~Not all products and techniques work for everyone
~There is a great freedom that comes with wearing your hair natural
~Transitioning takes patience (and not everyone is going to understand-but who cares)
~Try not to become a product junkie-there is no magic product to make your hair look like someone else's (find what works for you and the finesse it)
~Healthy eating and exercise make skin and hair look even better
~Relaxers are unnecessary and I will never put one in my hair again

1 comment:

Sal said...

Your relaxed hair and curls look similar to mine! I JUST made the decision to grow my hair out since I've met my father (who's hair is EXTREMELY curly) and I haven't had a perm in 3 months because I've worn my hair wet n' curly every day this summer (too hot and I'd end up sweating the straightness out)! But I wore it like that so much thatI completely forgot to perm my hair! LOL. So thank you for posting your progress. Gives me hope. I'll be stopping by often to see what you're working with so I can get product ideas also. Thanks again.